Call For Papers/Contributions
Stepping On: A Conference on Stepping in Dance across the British Isles and Beyond
16 - 17 November 2019
Cecil Sharp House, London, UK
Deadline for proposals 31st March 2019
The British Isles have a rich history of step dancing in many forms and in many forms and contexts, spanning centuries and linking with traditions across the world. Some of these dances and their histories are relatively well-known, others largely lost. The aim of the conference is to further our knowledge and understanding in these traditions and to stimulate debate. The conference will be of interest to practitioners, researchers and all who are interested in the diversity of traditional dance in the British Isles.
We are inviting submissions of papers, demonstrations, workshops, round table discussions and posters. Potential topics include (but are not limited to):
- Local/regional step dance traditions
- Stepping in social dances
- Stepping in other dances such as sword, rapper and morris
- Stepping on the stage
- The twentieth century clog revival
- Music and stepping
- Contemporary issues in step dance revival
- Histories of stepping in dance
- The role of the dancing masters
- International links e.g. through migration
- Experience from traditions in other countries which can illuminate the experience in the British Isles
More information will be available from the Vaughan Williams Memorial Library website
For further information or to discuss ideas please contact Toby Bennett via email@example.com.
Submissions by 31st March 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a short description of your proposed contribution/abstract of your paper (guide 150 to 500 words) and a short biography. A panel will evaluate the proposals and we hope to notify applicants by the end of May.